Friday 12 June 2009

Whose children are they anyway?

Once again, the impression is being given that many people think that the state owns the nation's children. The latest indication comes in Mr. Graham Badman's Report to the Secretary of State on the Review of Elective Home Education in England.

For succinct comment, see The Melangerie.

For detailed and incisive comment, and lots of helpful links, see Renegade Parent and Blogdial.

Dr. Sean Gabb has also written an excellent piece.

And so have many others, so there is probably no need for me to say anything more.

4 comments:

measured said...

This was a very useful thing for a bear to do. Thank you Paddington.

As bears from Peru know, a deed with good intentions can go awry.

Young Mr. Brown said...

Thank you very much, Mr. Measured.

Yes, my experience is certainly that deeds done with good intentions can go awry. Sometimes it is best just to do nothing. I suppose that we bears are natural minarchists. (Though I'm sure that when Mrs. Bird looks at the results of my efforts, she probably thinks that I am an anarchist.)

By the way, I note that you feel that we are on first name terms. Are you, by any chance, a friend of Jonathan and Judy?

measured said...

Young Mr Brown, I apologise as I should have addressed you more formally. I only knew about you from my friend, who knows Mrs Bird, until I saw your posts. I am told Mrs Bird speaks of you very kindly on most occasions.

I suspect that I may have caught sight of you once, sitting outside with Mr Gruber since small bears are quite distinctive. You would not recognise me as I am a Ms Measured. No offence taken; it is a very natural mistake for bears to make.

Young Mr. Brown said...

I do apologise, Ms. Measured. How very embarrassing. Mind you,it's not the first time I have managed to get things wrong, and it is a relief when people are patient with me.